Today virtually all the tools we use to manage our Internet marketing are online and require a login and password. It’s super dangerous to use the same password across multiple accounts and doing so sets you up for trouble.
Use the following Internet Marketing Best Practices to proactively protect and manage your online account passwords. Months or years of work on your Internet marketing strategy and website management can be wiped out in an instant if some troublemaker hacks into your accounts.
You think it won’t happen to you (aka “optimism bias”), but that’s not good thinking.
Best practices here include:
- Avoid using the same passwords across multiple accounts
- Change your passwords from time to time, at least a few times per year
- Use “strong” passwords – a strong password consists of at least six characters that are a combination of letters, numbers and symbols (@, #, $, %, etc.), the more characters the stronger the password
- Watch for “phishing” and avoid clicking and following links in email messages, which might not actually go to where you think they should go
- Use a password management tool like Last Pass (https://lastpass.com)